Translate

Monday, March 10, 2014

Birds of a Feather

More often than not, I feel different.  I've felt this way my entire life.  Even when I've had a thriving social circle and a plethora of extra-curricular activities and hobbies, I still felt slightly isolated.  I can't quite put my finger on what it is, nor can I put my finger on what it isn't.  I  just know that, for the most part, I think I'm different than other people around me.  My difference is neither good nor bad, benefit nor deficit, deposit nor withdrawal.  It just is what it is.  I don't think I'm better than others, nor do I think I am beneath others.  I'm just different.


Perhaps we all feel this way, but for whatever reason, we don't discuss it.  I know we are all unique and have our own thoughts and feelings based upon our experiences, but I question if others feel as different as I feel.  I've always enjoyed the saying "Birds of a feather flock together" because it sounds charming, stimulates great visuals, and it mentions birds.  I adore birds.  They fascinate me.  This idiom means that people with shared interests normally choose to spend time together.  I have many flocks, depending upon what I'm doing or where I am.  I have my family flock, friend flock, teacher flock, mom flock, etc.  I love each of my flocks, and being a member of them satisfies a different aspect of my personality and life.  However, even when I'm among the brood, I can't help but feel like I'm the lone feather drifting away.  It is a strange sensation.


Since we are all getting to know one another so well, and are sharing our deeply personal thoughts through writing, I feel safe enough with my Slice Flock to expose this vulnerable side of myself.  My hope is that I am not a lone bird, but one of another flock: those who feel different.  Is there any bird out there who shares my "lone wolf" mentality?  Shall we form a legion of loners?  A convoy of non-conformists?  An assembly of solitarians?


My final thought: is it "feel different" or "feel differently"?  Can one of you from the grammar flock help me out with this?  I'm thinking "feel different" is correct because the statement really means "feel different than others" but I didn't include "than others" because it is understood.  I think "feel differently" would mean my ability to feel occurs differently than that of others, which is not what I'm trying to say.  For instance, I feel with my hands, but an insect feels differently because it uses its antennae.  Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment