Translate

Friday, March 14, 2014

Change of Plans

I had so many tasks to accomplish before 3:00 today.  With spring break next week, it was vital that I take care of a few things. I was checking tasks off of my list and feeling positive about my progress. At 1:00 the pressure was on to tackle the remaining responsibilities before time was up. Suddenly, my phone vibrated, displaying "Webster" on the caller ID. I answered and discovered my Sophia had gotten sick at school and needed to be picked up. Change of plans. For a moment, I considered calling my mother-in-law to see if she could take care of Sophia since I needed to see a few more students and set a couple up with take-home devices for spring break.  Then, I remembered a promise I made to Sophia last year. I told her I would miss work to care for her when she was sick, no matter how important I thought my tasks were. I made the promise because for years I had put my responsibilities as a teacher before my responsibilities as a mom.  My promise to her is important to me.  I was unable to get everything done that I had hoped to accomplish, but I was able to keep my promise to Sophia.  I feel pretty good about my choice. When she feels better, maybe I can finish that list.  Sometimes you have to change your plans, and that's okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment