Translate

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Eve of the End

Here I am, on the eve of the end of my slice experience, and I'm experiencing some mixed emotions.  I am overwhelmed with thoughts and feelings regarding the month.  There were so many things I loved about the adventure, and some that were not so great.  Overall, it was rewarding.  Here are some of the thoughts racing through my head and my heart.

I didn't learn any new words, so I'm disappointed about that.  I honestly thought that was going to be the easiest part of the journey.  How funny that I didn't accomplish that aspect!  

I loved peering into the lives of others.  I learned so much about so many people.  Things I had never taken the time to find out, I suddenly was made aware of by simply reading a few paragraphs or glancing at some photos.  I now understand why people use Facebook!  I'm still not going to partake in FB because, well, that's an entirely different post.  Moving on!

There are some gifted writers among our 6th grade slicers, and the adults too!  Some posts were so tender, while others kept me on edge.  You made me laugh, and sometimes made me grab at my chest to protect my heart from feeling your pain.  We have so much to share.  More often, we should make an effort to listen to the stories of those around us.  There is so much to learn, and we have a lot more in common than we initially realize.

I can accomplish almost any task.  The older I get, the more confident I grow regarding my ability to succeed.  There were many years in my life where I thought I couldn't do much of anything, but with each birthday, I'm learning just how wrong I was.  This accomplishment falls (and I'm not being dramatic) among the ranks of buying my first home, running my first 5K, and graduating from college.  This took tenacity!  I wanted to give up so many times, but I didn't.  Even when I was sore, exhausted, or sick, I held up my end of the bargain.  I'm proud of myself!

I didn't post many of the posts I had intended to post!  I wanted to tell more funny stories about being a kid.  I hoped to share some sad stories from my childhood and teenage years so that someone who is growing up the way I grew up might be able to see a sliver of hope in their future by witnessing that it doesn't always have to be bad.  Life doesn't always have to be chaotic.  You can have stability.  You can change your destiny.  You possess the power to push through the ceilings that have been built above you.  All you have to do is want it and work hard.  Things can be different.  Life can be good.  Really, really good.  You can be happy.

There are other thoughts and feelings I could share, but once again it's late and I'm exhausted.  I still have one more load of laundry, and I need to iron clothes for tomorrow.  As tough and as long as this month felt, the reality is that I could writing every day forever and still wouldn't be able to get everything out that needs to be said.  Maybe that's what I was supposed to learn from this.  Perhaps it's obvious: I should write.  I don't know if I'll be able to write every day, but I know I have at least one more in me.  Tomorrow I'll finally get around to explaining how color affects you.  You'll finally understand my love for turquoise.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment