Translate

Monday, March 24, 2014

Go Outside

When I was a kid, I spent the vast majority of my free time outdoors. I did homework after school, and then I played outside. On the weekends, I was outside the entire day, until the sun went down. As I got older, I'd stretch that curfew to include some after dark time in the driveway or yard. My favorite thing to do was ride my bike. I would ride for hours. I also loved exploring undeveloped areas around my various neighborhoods (we moved often), especially it there was a water source. I was fascinated by the ecosystem, and loved observing the animals interact with their habitats.  Even though I'm much busier now than I was as a child, I try to incorporate the outdoors into my adult life as well.  I run outside, take my family to State parks and nature centers, and work in the yard. I prefer to be outside, which is why I don't understand why so many of my students don't like to go outside. I don't know if times have changed, or if many kids stayed inside when I was young but I was just unaware of it. Today, I asked every one of my Monday students if they enjoyed the spring weather last week, and very few said they had been outside. The majority said they spent spring break watching tv or playing video games. I did that when I was a kid too, but it wasn't often. If I had been watching tv, I guarantee it was because I couldn't go outside. When I asked my students why they didn't play outside, none had a very good answer. Most just said they didn't want to. I was shocked!  They don't know what they are missing! The freh air! The warm sun on your skin!  The sounds of birds singing! It's an endless list!  I urge you to go outside for a few hours. Take a walk. Ride your bike. Pull some weeds. Dig for worms. Watch the birds. You will love it, and the next day you'll want to do it again. What is your favorite thing to do outside?

1 comment:

  1. Recently, my favorite thing to do outside was go to go a baseball game in Florida. It was heavenly-- warm and entertaining. Here at home I am counted the days until I can get in the garden and plant! Ahhh....spring, come fast!! I've enjoyed your blogging, Mrs. Booher. Thank you so much for sharing with us!!!

    ReplyDelete