Translate

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Little Library

Have you heard of the "Little Free Library"?  This service began in 2009 when Hudson, Wisconsin resident Todd Bol built a replica of a one-room school house that he stuffed with books and placed in his front yard, along with a sign declaring "free books".  Bol did this in honor of his mother who loved reading and was a teacher.

The first Little Free Library


Since then, Bol has worked with others to nurture the idea into what has now become the Little Free Library program. As of January 2014, it is estimated that there are between 10,000 and 12,000 Little Free Libraries around the world.  I'm quite sure his mother would be very honored to know her passion for literacy has affected so many other people. What a legacy!

I had heard of the Little Free Library, but hadn't considered if there was one nearby. Imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon one in my tiny town outside of the community center. The fam and I had ventured to City Hall in search of a fence-building permit. I sent my husband in and planned to wait in the car. My plan didn't last long because I saw this tiny treasure near the building entrance.



It's adorable!  Look at the turquoise paint inside.  It reminds me of a speckled Robin egg.  Beautiful!




Sophia and I perused through the inventory. I didn't find anything I wanted to read, but Sophia found two books: a Lewis Carroll biography and an expository text about Mardi Gras.  We were so excited to use the Little Free Library, and plan to donate a few books for others to read. I'd love to put one of these in my own neighborhood, but they are a little pricey, so I'll need to conduct a cost-benefit analysis.  According to the website, there are two in Joplin and one in Carl Junction, but none in Webb City. Perhaps I can find a community group to sponsor and maintain the project. Any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment