Translate

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Predictable

I love the predictable. My mind craves order, and predictability satiates its appetite.  I establish as many routines and procedures as I can in every area of my life. There are some instances where I must be flexible, such as my job schedule, but everywhere else I like to know what is going to happen. I think this compulsion explains my love of cheesy, predictable films. I watched two movies this weekend, and both would be considered terrible by most. The outcome was easy to foretell, and the characters were shallow.  On the scale of film-as-art, these movies were among the lowest.  Now, don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for artistic story-telling through cinema, but I also enjoy the occasional feel-good family movie. I like being able to accurately predict the next turn of the plot, and thrive on the happy ending. It's the same feeling I get when I read the same book I've read many times before. I knew what was going to happen, and my brain loved being "right".  What is a form of entertainment you like to do because your brain enjoys it? Do you prefer predictable or unknown?  Would you rather watch a plot twister or a campy commercialized movie?  Play the same putt-putt golf course you've conquered a hundred times or hike an unknown trail?  Do you like them the same, or do you have different needs depending on some factor?  If you feel stressed, which do you find more satisfying?

No comments:

Post a Comment