Translate

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Severe Weather

I guess it's time for severe weather season. I was driving between buildings today and thinking about our storm shelter construction projects. When will they be finished?  What will they look like?  Will there be an open-house for the public to view the projects?  Do we have a plan for severe weather in the meantime?  Literally, right in the middle of my thoughts, my phone made a funny alert sound. I glanced at it and found a weather notice stating we were under a tornado watch! I'm not mentally prepared for severe weather season!  It snowed, like a week ago!  I haven't cleaned and stocked my storm shelter yet!  I've certainly been in a rush for winter to pass, but I'd forgotten this important aspect of the season change.  I don't panic in severe weather if I'm prepared, but I'm not ready for it yet, so today and this evening have been worrisome. I was fidgety all through Sophia's dance class as I watched the wind whip the trees, the sky glow from lightning strikes, and the ceiling tiles (this isn't an exaggeration) vibrate from the wind shaking the roof. Scary!  All I wanted to do was get home where I knew we would be safe. Prior to the Joplin tornado, I never worried about storms. However, like everyone else in this area, my understanding of weather's ability has changed. I'm far more cautious and aware now. Remember my spring break to-do list that morphed into a spring to-do list?  Well, I'm changing it again. Suddenly, Sophia's playset has been demoted to project #2. Project #1 is now cleaning and stocking the storm shelter. I've purchased a turquoise deck of cards to pass the time, but I need to restock emergency supplies. What will you do to prepare for severe weather season?

No comments:

Post a Comment